Freecall 1800 331 215

How do I go about Insuring my horse?

As we require full details of you and your horse before we can send you a proposal, you may call our office on +61 3 9643 3000 or toll free on 1800 331 215.  Alternatively you can send us an email.  On receipt of your information we can place the Proposal and send you an invoice with the appropriate paperwork.

To top

Who is your underwriter?

Your Insurance policy is placed with Liberty Mutual Insurance Company.

To top

Do I need to provide a Veterinary Certificate?

A Veterinary Certificate is required at the inception of each policy year for any of the following;

  • horses aged 16 years and over
  • foals under 6 months of age
  • Stallions with a Permanent Infertility option attached to their policy
  • horses with a Permanent Disability option attached to their policy
  • horses where there has been notification of an accident, illness or disease in the past 12 months.

A Veterinary Certificate is also required for any New Business with a Sum Insured value of over $25,000AUD and any Renewed Business with a Sum Insured value of over $50,000AUD.

A Veterinary Certificate should be completed by a Registered Equine Veterinarian, it should clearly describe the horse giving note of brands and/or markings and be completed no more than 30 days prior the inception date of the Policy.  We recommend asking your Vet use an Equine Veterinarians Australia standard Certificate of Examination for Mortality Insurance purposes form.

To top

Do you insure other animals apart from horses?

No, we only insure all breeds of Horses and Donkeys, we do not insure other livestock.

To top

From what age can I insure my horse?

A foal can be insured at 24hrs after birth if a satisfactory Veterinary Certificate is received confirming it is in good health.

This report must include an IgG test result showing that the foal has a level of over 800mg/dl, it must state that the umbilicus is dry and normal and that there is no evidence of a patent urachas, umbilical or inguinal hernia.

A blank foal Veterinary Certificate can be located on our forms page.

To top

What age can I insure my horse up to?

We accept coverage for horses up to the age of 17yrs.

To top

How do you value my horse?

At the time of placing the policy we would consider many variables in order to establishe a 'Current Market Value', eg: purchase price, breeding, race records, competition results etc.

To top

I have a part ownership in a horse, can I insure my share?

Yes.  Syndication is now a very regular form of ownership and each individual shareholder can insured each share separately.

Can I get cover on my horse if he gets out and damages/injures somebody?

No.  We do not offer any liability coverage.

To top

Can I insure my tack & equipment and horse float?

No.  We do not offer any coverage for tack, equipment or horse floats.

To top

Can I pay by installments?

IRT Insurance does not offer pay by the month premiums.

To top

Can I insure my horse overseas?

Yes, we offer Air Transit and Annual insurance coverage in many countries.

To top

What do I do if my Renewal falls due on a weekend?

Renewals are sent to each policy holder approximately 21 days prior to the expiry of each policy.  It is up to the individual policy holder to return the completed documentation prior to the expiry date.

To top

What do I do if my horse is ill or injured?

We are contactable 24hrs a day, 7 days a week.  By calling +61 3 9643 3000 or +61 411 703 703 you will be able to speak to one of our friendly consultants.

If your horse becomes ill or has any lameness, an accident, injury or physical disability whatsoever you should contact your Vet to have immediate treatment.  You then need to give notice to IRT Insurance as soon as possible so that we can discuss any necessary treatment with the attending Vet.

To top

What do I do if my horse is found dead?

If you have the unfortunate circumstance that your horse is found dead, you are required to give notice to us immediately.  You will need to have a Vet examine the horse and if a positive explaination for the death can not be found then, at your own expense, a post-mortem examination must be made by a Vet.  This report should then be forwarded to us as soon as available and no later than 21 days after the death of the animal.

To top

What happens if I have to make a claim?

Upon the death of an animal you should notify us immediately, we will then forward to you a statuatory claim form.  This form needs to be completed by yourself and returned to us along with any Veterinary reports.  Once we have received your claim documents and they have been processed and accepted we will send you a release form.  Upon receipt of your completed release form we will release funds to you.

To top

Will you pay me GST on top of my claim amount?

No.  The Australian Tax Office (ATO) has made provision for the GST component of claims on the basis that the purpose of insurance is to put you in the same position after the claim as before.

To top

What do I do if I have a dispute?

IRT Insurance is proud of it's service standards and supports the General Insurance Code of Practice.  If you have a concern about the insurance policy, a claim decision, the service of IRT Insurance or an investigator, in the first instance we have an Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) process in place to deal with any complaint you may have. 

If this does not resolve the matter or you are not satisfied with the way the complaint has been dealt with, IRT Insurance is a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA); a company specifically set up to handle any dispute or conflict resolution between consumers and insurance companies.  For further information on both our Internal Dispute Resolution and External Dispute Resolution processes please click here.

To top